ATTENDANCE PROCESS FOR FAMILIES
As a College, we have revised our Attendance Policy and procedures and have developed processes to support each family to assist their child/ren to achieve, where possible, 100% attendance.
The following document Attendance Process for Families provides an outline of what we are implementing to account for student attendance at the College.
Families are encouraged to read to summary and contact us to discuss any issues or concerns. We welcome your feedback as the implementation of this process progress throughout the year.
Significant differences we would like to draw to your attention, include;
1. Explained Approved Absences - these are absences where the explanation is reasonable
2. Explained Unapproved Absences - these are absences where the school has determined the explanation is not reasonable
3. Unexplained Absences - these are absences where no reasons have been provided
The College wishes to ensure that all parents have a clear understanding of how they can meet their obligations under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006. Click on the link to understand how the new attendance processes will support your child/ren and families - Attendance Process for Families
- Families are required to explain absences before or on the day of a student’s absence.
- If a child is absent without communication to the school, a follow-up SMS is sent on the day of absence. Text messages are sent daily at 10am & 3pm.
- Daily SMS are sent home and an unexplained absence will initiate a Pink Slip given to the student for families to provide a valid reason for the absence.
- Families have 5 days in which to return the Pink Slip to Explain the Absence or Report your child/ren's attendance, using one of the following options:
- Use Compass APP or Website https://craigieburnsc-vic.compass.education/ - Compass Parent Portal - Enter Attendance Note (Reason, date & time-frame & comments)
- Email email@example.com - (Subject Line: Enter Student Name & Form Group)
- Phone Absence Line on 8339 4224 & follow the prompts
- Phone 9308 1144 & follow the prompts
- Request principal approval for absence
- Provide a written note/medical/dental/specialist certificates at the school
EXPLAINED ABSENCES PROCESSES
Supporting students at risk to attend school. We would like our families to feel supported through this process, and as such the letters and reminders are designed to gain a full understanding of circumstances behind absenteeism. This provides the basis for the College and families to work together to improve student attendance.
Regardless of the type of absence (Approved or Unapproved) when a student’s attendance rate reaches less than 90% the student is considered at risk. At this point, the College will introduce interventions that will include a Student Engagement and Attendance Profile and/or a Student Support Group meeting with parent/guardian to develop an Individual Learning Plan and support from the College Allied Health Team.
If you have any questions about the processes and the Attendance Policy, please contact the College on 9308 1144 or email via the Compass Parent Portal.
Every Day Counts when it comes to getting the best Educational Outcomes for your child/ren.